From the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
It’s not too late to participate in the first year of the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) — one of the two tracks in the Quality Payment Program. The transition year of MIPS has been underway since January 1, 2017 and runs until December 31, 2017.
Transition year (2017) Participation:
For 2017, you can participate in one of three ways:
- Submit data covering a full year, or
- Submit data covering at least a consecutive 90-day period, or
- Submit a minimum amount of data (<90 days)
Remember: You should begin data collection no later than October 2, 2017, to report 90 consecutive days of data for the transition year. For example: If you are planning to submit 90 days or more of your quality data via your claims, you would need to begin adding the applicable quality data codes to your claims no later than October 2nd.
If you submit data for at least 90 days, you avoid the negative payment adjustment, and may be eligible for a positive payment adjustment.
Are you planning to submit less than 90 days of data?
If so, you can begin data collection as late as Dec 31st and still avoid the negative payment adjustment. However, more data increases your likelihood of earning a positive payment adjustment.
When is data submission?
This is a reminder to begin data collection. You will begin submitting your 2017 MIPS performance data on January 2 through March 31, 2018. If you are eligible to participate but choose not to submit data, you’ll get a negative 4% payment adjustment which will go into effect on January 1, 2019.
Need Help Participating?
- Use the MIPS Look-Up Tool on the Quality Payment Program website to determine if you should participate in MIPS.
- Review resources available in the Resource Library including A Quick Start Guide to Participating in MIPS.
- Learn about the free Technical Assistance available to clinicians, especially those in small, underserved, and rural practices.
- Contact the Quality Payment Program at QPP@cms.hhs.gov or 1-866-288-8292 (TTY: 1-877-715-6222).